Water Damage from Burst Pipes
During the winter months in Canada, temperatures fluctuate all over the place, rising and falling above and below the freezing mark. Unfortunately for home owners, the weather can pose a serious threat – burst water pipes.
Burst pipes are caused when the water running through the plumbing lines freezes and builds up with ice. When the water freezes, it expands and puts pressure on the inside of the pipe. Eventually over time, this can cause the pipe to burst and cause major damage within the property.
Speak with an expert today
Due to our overpopulated communities and crowded plumbing systems, burst pipes have become quite common. The amount of damage caused from burst pipes can be very extensive and cause a large amount of money to repair the damages. In most cases, insurance will cover this loss so ensure to have proper property insurance to cover your losses.
How to prevent Burst Pipes:
- Insulate whatever pipes you can - Given that the pipes run through the walls, flooring and ceiling, it can be hard to know if they are properly insulated or not. The best method is to bring in an insulation company who can check the walls and ceilings to see if there is proper insulation using an infrared camera. The insulation company can also check your attic space to ensure that there is proper insulation, keeping as much warm air inside the property as possible.
- Turn off any water sources that are not being used (ie. Unoccupied spaces, garages, exterior plumbing lines). Drain the water from the lines and turn off the water tap. If you plan on going away for vacation – ensure to turn off the water, otherwise have someone come to check the property from regularly to ensure there are no damages. Insurance will not cover your losses if you leave your home and have no one checking on the property.
- Ensure to heat your property to a proper temperature – this will help the lines from freezing.
- Assess any current leaks - If you are aware of any leaks currently in your property, make sure to get fixed. Your weakened pipe is a prime area for a burst pipe to happen.
- Check your exterior pipes - Ensure any exterior pipes are dug deep enough into the ground. The ground freezes from the top down, so you want to ensure they are deep enough to avoid freezing.
Burst pipe emergency?
Call us now 1-888-551-0514
At Canada’s Restoration Services, we have years of experience when it comes to dealing with water damage from burst water pipes. We specialize in water extraction, structural drying, material removal and rebuilding your home back to it’s original state. Our certified technicians have the knowledge and training to handle any size damage – the quicker and faster we get to work, the smaller the amount of secondary damage will occur.
With our state-of-the-art equipment, we can identify damages that are not even visible to the human eye. The technology we utilize consists of humidity/moisture readings and thermal imaging guns, which focuses on repairing any unseen damages and removing all excess moisture.
If moisture is left or not cleaned up on time – mold will start to grow, causing even more damages and possible health affects to those affecting.