What Do I Do In A Water Damage Emergency?
1. What to do first;
Call a professional immediately, they will be able to safely remove all the water and prevent secondary damages such as mold
2. Take Precautions;
- Turn off all electricity to the room which have water damage or has been flooded .
- Contain the damage, try and block off the rooms that water has been able to enter
- If you must enter the room, make sure you use safety equipment. Use gloves, rubber boots, and eye protection.
- Shut off the main water to the house (depending on where the water is coming in from).
- Disable any battery powered devices.
- Look for signs of structural damage.
- Keep mouth and eyes clear of the water.
- Watch for hidden debris such as broken glass.
3. Take an Inventory of the damage;
- Walk around the perimeter of the property taking notes and pictures on what is damaged.
- Inspect damaged areas for potential structural weakness.
- Wait for a professional to certify the structure before going inside.
4. Secure the property;
Contain the water damage and block of any contaminated rooms. Make sure the water isn’t affecting any other rooms if it can be blocked.