Guide to Preventing Mold Growth
Posted in Mold Removal, on January 04, 2023
Just like humans, mold is a living organism and needs the proper environment, food and water to survive. Mold is very fond of cool, dark places that are wet and damp, and especially loves to “chill” in areas with as little air flow as possible (come on, even humans love a good detox). Mold is not a picky eater and will eat anything that is an organic material (wood, drywall, plaster and fabrics). Its favorite hangout spot is on dust particles and likes to get down and dirty in all the tiny cracks and crevasses of our homes. We would love to say just eliminate all these conditions from your homes/property’s and you’ll be fine, but let’s be honest, it is nearly impossible. We have put together a list of ways that you can mold-proof your home and help prevent mold growth in addition to mold removal in Toronto and Canada's other major cities. The best mold removal services and results starts with mold inspections and testing to decimate mold infestations.
Basement Mold Removal & Prevention
- Ensure that the basement is properly insulated and a vapour barrier is installed.
- Ensure that there are no cracks/leaks in the foundation of your home that could cause water infiltration.
- If you have a damp basement, install a dehumidifier in the basement to remove any excess moisture in the environment.
Bathrooms Mold Removal & Prevention
- Ensure a bathroom exhaust fan is installed and is properly working (if venting into the attic, make sure the pipe is venting into a proper roof jack outside the attic)
- Wipe off any excess moisture on the tiles after a shower or bath
- Ensure all plumbing is proper and there are no leaks
- Re- Caulk around tiles and shower to help prevent leaks
Canada's Restoration Services offers reliable basement flood clean up and restoration services. Call our Toronto water damage team urgently, and we'll respond within 45 minutes of your call in the Greater Toronto Area.
Attic Mold Removal & Prevention
- Ensure that there is proper ventilation (intake and outtake)
- Ensure that all exhaust pipes are connected properly and venting outside the attic with a proper roof jack
- Ensure that insulation is kept up to code and free of water to minimize need for attic mold removal.
- Ensure proper maintenance to roof to ensure no water damage and leaks, which are often the cause of mold outbreaks.
Window Mold Removal & Prevention
- If the home has older windows, update with new and energy efficient (will save money and prevent mold)
- Ensure the window is sealed properly to prevent any water leaks
- Open the blinds and keep curtains open to ensure good airflow
- Open the windows in warmer temperatures to ensure good airflow
Bedroom Mold Removal & Prevention
- Keep furniture away from the wall to ensure good airflow
- Make sure exterior walls are insulated – this will prevent condensation on walls
- Keep windows open in warmer temperatures for proper airflow
- If bedroom is in the basement and the room feels humid, use a dehumidifier
Closet Mold Removal & Prevention
- Do not over pack the closet – this will ensure proper airflow
- If the closet is on an exterior wall, make sure that is it properly insulated
Kitchen Mold Removal & Prevention:
- Make sure all plumbing is up to code and no leaks – make sure to check under the kitchen sink
- Empty garbage’s and compost regularly
- Do not leave food out on the counters
- Empty and clean fridge on a regular basis
Mold Inspection, Detection & Removal Servieces
- Keep dust to a minimum in the property, as mentioned, mold attaches itself to dust particles and can travel around the home.
- Open windows to ensure there is a cross breeze throughout your home for proper air flow
If you have a suspicion that there may be mold in your property, don’t hesitate to give us a call. We have highly trained and certified staff that will answer all yours questions and we provide Free Mold Inspections on any visible mold keeping your mold removal costs to a minimum.