All you need to know about Mold

Why would mold grow in my home?

Mold is part of the natural environment and it is impossible to remove all spores from the air. Mold can actually be a good thing in the right environment. Outdoors, it is used for breaking down dead organic matter such as leaves or fallen trees. However, if elevated mold spores are present indoors, then there could be a problem. Mold reproduces by spores, which are invisible to the naked eye. They float around the air and when given the right wet surface, the spores latch on and produce what we can see, mold. If there is no openly wet surfaces, then the spores should not be a problem. If you experience a water damage in your home, it needs to be dried within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. Install fans and dehumidifiers and remove any wet material affected. Disconnect any power or electronics that are nearby that could have been affected by the damage. When experiencing a water damage it is always best to hire an experienced company that can get the situation dry and clean as quickly as possible!

Is mold bad for me?

Mold effects everyone differently, some may have a severe reaction, where others are not even affected by it. The day to day mold that we are exposed to is fine for us to breathe in. The issue lies when we are exposed to high levels of mold spores. Mold spores can produce allergens, which cause allergic reactions and irritants. In extreme cases, mold can cause severe health issues.

How do I know if I have mold?

Mold is not always visible to the naked eye. The thing about mold spores float around the air and do not become visible until they have the right environment to grow. A common way to know if you have mold is a ‘musty’ or ‘earthy’ smell. This does not always mean you have mold, but it should be checked out to be 100% safe. If there is no visible mold, then an Air Quality Test needs to be done to identify if it is in the air. A sample is taken outside to understand what is in the environment, and additional samples are taken from inside in the areas of concern. If the inside samples are higher than the outside, then we know we have an issue. Air Quality testing needs to be performed by a certified company who has the proper equipment and knowledge/understanding of mold.

How do I get rid of Mold?

It is always good to consult with a mold remediation company before removing mold. Some mold may be cleaned up by yourself, but other mold must be dealt with by a certified mold remediation company. Common molds that you can clean up yourself are surface mold in the window sills, mold on the shower tiles or mold on the shower grout. Mold on fabrics and shoes can be cleaned off or washed. Mold that grows on organic material such as drywall, studs/framing, and plaster need to be physically removed. If the area is larger than 1 square feet, it is recommended to bring in a professional mold removal company. By removing these area’s yourself, you can cause cross contamination throughout your home which can lead to a much bigger issue.

What should I do to clean up the mold?

If you are cleaning surface mold yourself from either the windows, shower tiles or grout, or mold on concrete, one of the best solution is detergent and hot water. If mold is growing on organic material, do not use bleach as it can actually feed the mold and grow back. You can also purchase a product called “Concrobium” which is an antimicrobial. Once the area is saturated, you can scrub off with a brush and rinse the area clean. If you are ever concerned about your health when cleaning mold, it is best to speak with a certified mold remediation company first. We can direct you in the right path to cleaning it yourself, or if it should be handled by a professional.

Canada’s Restoration Services teams and professionals are just a phone call away. With 24/7 staff, we are here to help you no matter the size of the situation. A representative will be able to diagnose the problem and steer you in the right direction.

Don’t wait, give us a call at 1-888-551-0514

This entry was posted in Mold Removal and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.