Fall Property Checklist
Posted in General, on November 06, 2020 By Admin
Fall is well underway. Leaves have changed colours and fallen. The clocks have been turned back. It's dark sooner now. This means 1 thing; winter is on its way. Some of us love winter, the ground covered in fluffy white snow, warm fires and cozy movie night on the couch and of course the Holidays. This also means making sure you have prepped your home for winter. Canada’s Restoration Services has clients right across Canada that have not done the fall checklist that has found themselves with a flooded basement, burst pipes, cracked foundation, mold in the attic; all could have been prevented by doing a few things around their property in the fall.
With the nice weather this weekend it gives you the perfect opportunity to do the fall property check this. Not all of us have the time or have a checklist ready to ensure that you’ve got everything covered so we thought we’d try to make it a little easier for you. Now some people hire qualified companies to do some of these tasks which is great especially if it involves a ladder. But the basics are easy to do yourself.
- Check exterior finishes for signs of wear and tear i.e. cracks in the plaster or brick
- Check around windows and doors. Gaps or breakdown in materials
- Check windows and screens, bends and tears in the screen
- Inspect fireplace and chimney flue, make sure they close properly. You may want a trade to do this.
- Check basement or crawl spaces for leaks or moisture or signs of standing water
- Check roof including shingles and flashing and ensure vents are sealed properly-this is one of those items you will want to call in a certified Roofing trade to check.
- Check around all doors to ensure a proper seal.
- Clean all landscaping and remove leaves
- Check eavestroughs and downspouts for debris-contact a certified contractor if need to do this as it will require a ladder
- Shut off exterior water supply-open exterior taps and shut off water on the interior. If you are unsure of where that is call in a plumber to assist
- Clean humidifier. Make sure the drain line is clear and the filter is clean
- Check attic, basement and crawl spaces for leaks or moisture. If you are not comfortable doing this Canada’s Restoration Services can assist you.
- Check all floor drains(including basement and garage) to ensure the trap is filled with water-you should be able to visually see this, if not contact a certified plumber
- Have certified inspection of HVAC units, clean or change filters is something you can do yourself.
Canada’s Restoration Services is here to assist you if you find any issues during your Fall Property Checklist. Always remember to call in a Professional Certified trade if you aren’t able to do the above checklist yourself. Canada’s Restoration Service is available 24/7 for Emergencies. We have a dedicated Customer Care department available to our clients around the clock. Contact us today for a free over the phone consultation or to book an inspection with one of our trained and certified Project Managers